Do you love high-waisted long skirts and wish you knew if they would enhance your figure? Are you looking for fashion inspirations to adapt this ultra-trendy piece to your dressing style?
I'll help you out.
As a fashion enthusiast, I loved the return of long skirts, especially pleated ones, to the runways a few years ago. This must-have garment has the advantage of beingeasy to wear, very feminine and easy to match in all seasons!
Today I propose you to discover how to adopt the high waist long skirt, no matter what your morphology. I've also selected some inspiring look ideas to make this garment one of your wardrobe favorites!
Unlike what you sometimes hear, the high-waisted maxi skirt flatters most body types. If you're petite or well rounded, be sure to choose lightweight materials and cuts that aren't too long and flatter your figure. The trendy maxi skirt comes in a variety of styles, from classic black and white to rock 'n' roll with a leather perfecto. It is also a key piece of bohemian and ethnic styles, especially if it has patterns or prints. This garment can thus be declined endlessly: you just have to find the look that suits you!
Would you like to know more? Read on to find out:
- Whether it's possible to wear a high-waisted maxi skirt when you're small
- Whether it's suitable for curvy women
- How to get abohemian or rock look with this type of skirt
- How to wear it every day to work, seeing friends,
- Many examples of outfits to inspire you on your next shopping trip
For which figure?
Returning to fashion in recent years, the long skirt is now a must-have for any trendy wardrobe. Yet, you may have doubts about the compatibility between this type of skirt and your body type. Indeed, in ads and fashion shows, it is often women who are rather tall and lanky that we see wearing them! What if you are short? Or round? I answer your questions in the following lines!
The long skirt high waist, forbidden to women of small size?
It often happens that we hear that long skirts and dresses are not suitable when you are short: they would pack the figure and would not enhance it. Know that I don't agree with that, and I'm not the only one: it's totally possible to wear this garment when you're short, if you choose it well!
For this, I offer you some advice:
- Choose a skirt not too long, which reaches above the ankles, so that you do not get tangled in it,
- Prefer light and bright colors,
- Select light materials: lace, silk, light fabric...
- Choose a model that is well high-waisted and proportionally represents the ⅔ of your figure without the head,
- And, if you can, wear heels that will lengthen your legs!
Can you wear a high-waisted maxi skirt if you are curvy?
Do you have curves and you too wonder if the high waisted long skirt is for you? Just as for women of small size, there is no prohibition: it is also a matter of opting for a model that flatters your morphology.
Here's how to find the perfect skirt to sublimate your luscious physique :
- The slit skirts will slim your legs, while slimming your figure,
- Don't hesitate to wear a high-waisted skirt straightened at the waist, to highlight your curves,
- You can dare the prints on the skirt: associated with a plain top, they will look good,
- Avoid heavy materials such as velvet or tweed,
- Prefer either:
- A tight skirt that comes just below the knee,
- A flared skirt that comes at or below the knee.
Elegance and simplicity: the casual chic long skirt
Are you looking for an everyday outfit that is feminine, elegant and wearable? A plain or printed high-waisted maxi skirt paired with a top and classic shoes will be the perfect ally for going to work, going out with friends for the day or even going on vacation.
👉 To emphasize your waist, don't hesitate to wear a leather belt. As mentioned earlier, it is often said that a well-fitted outfit highlights the following proportions:
A belt will allow you to emphasize this ratio of proportions, while also being a stylishfinish to an everyday outfit.
Wax fabric: a colorful African-inspired style!
Have you ever heard of wax? This African fabric has the advantage of being treated on both sides with special shoe polish, which makes it almost waterproof and very strong. This fabric is very popular in sub-Saharan Africa and is an integral part of the culture of this part of the world.
It is characterized by very colorful patterns: for African women, these even have meaning and constitute a whole lexicon, which, depending on the pattern worn, can mean that one is fulfilled by one's husband or else that one is single, looking for love.
Very colorful, wax skirts are necessarily worn with a very simple and plain top. If you want to give the impression that you have great legs and a slender figure, this is the outfit to wear! Don't hesitate to pair it with African-inspired jewelry, for a total ethnic look!
Go for the rock n' roll look with your long skirt
The black pleated long skirt is the feminine trump card of the rock n' roll style: whether it's an evening outfit or your everyday style, this garment will allow you to assert your look, while being ultra-stylish!
For this, I recommend wearing the black high waisted skirt with:
- A black leather perfecto,
- Shoes with heels,
- A black top (blouse type), if you prefer to go for the monochromatic look,
- A white or light colored top, if you prefer to add a bright touch to your outfit!
👉 You can also achieve this style by opting for a skirt in shades of old pink, purple or violet and pairing it with black clothes!
Bohemian trend with an ethnic chic look
Like fluid and comfortable clothing? The pretty prints? The bohemian style should fit you! Keep reading this article to find out how to wear the long skirt in a boho chic way!
How to adopt this look?
The bohemian maxi skirt is characterized by:
- pastel colors (pink, blue, green) or natural (ecru, beige, khaki ...),
- fluid materials (silk, viscose, linen, cotton ...),
- aloose cut, which flatters the figure.
It can be plain or feature floral patterns and colorful prints.
It suits every figure and can be worn in all seasons! To match it and get a bohemian look, opt for pieces such as:
- Abardot neck top (uncovered on the shoulders),
- A flowing blouse with lace details,
- A hat,
- A small leather bag,
- A belt that emphasizes your waist,
- Sandals that lace up on the ankles orleather boots, for winter...
Our selection of bohemian skirts
On our site Bohemian Life, we're dedicated to bringing you ultra-trendy and affordable bohemian outfits all year long.
To get a glimpse of this style and maybe, who knows, find the skirt that will make you fall in love with it, I suggest you discover right now our collection of bohemian long skirts!
For a classy, sophisticated look: dare to go black and white!
Looking for a chic and elegant outfit for work or a special event?
The long pleated skirt, whether black or white, is just right for looking dressy. To do this, just wear it with a blouse or blouse type top, plain, and black or white shoes such as scarf shoes or pretty heeled sandals. I recommendplaying with contrasts, wearing either a black skirt and a white top, or the other way around.
This article is coming to an end, and long high-waisted skirts now have, I hope, no secrets for you! Trust your intuition to find the style that suits you and with which you canbe yourself 100%!
Do you want to learn more about pleated skirts? Check out our article dedicated to them!